Monday, January 19, 2009

A zen moment

Pardon me while I indulge in a little karmic philosophy for a few minutes.
It's our nature to judge, we do it without even thinking about it most of the time but my religion warns against judgment of others so I try very hard to never make assumptions about people.
Let me tell you a little story, get a drink and cozy up to me:
Once upon a time a little boy was born in a far away country. This infant was born desperately ill and was removed from the home of his incompetent parents for his safety. I was called since I was his only other relative and was asked to take him and of course I told them I would. We were investigated and checked and poked and prodded to make sure we could provide a home for this sick baby and by the time we were cleared and licensed they said the baby was too ill to ever be moved. Now what? About that time there was a widely publicized case of child abuse that involved a parent who killed his baby by swinging the infant by it's feet and bashing it's head against the walls of the room. I remember that several of the responding medical and police officials had to go to counseling after that call. It was that case that convinced me that as imperfect as I was at parenting I might be able to help some children see what "normal" families looked like and so we embarked on a fostering gig that changed all our lives.
So here's two small children who died very young and I never met either of them, yet they changed my life forever. In changing my life they also changed the lives of over 60 foster children and whoever those children later came in contact with. Here's a couple of sets of parents judged by one and all to be a waste of oxygen and while they ruined the lives of their children and their own lives in the process, they were the impetus behind positive ripples that will continue to expand across the world forever.
The next time you see someone or hear about someone who's doing or done something you don't understand try to remember that that person has or had a purpose. They may be the catalyst for change that makes us all better people.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for not judging. It's raining in Los Angeles, so I can't go out in the yard. I'm just roaming the internet reading blogs & I came across yours.
    My children were taken from me for abuse. What did I do? I evicted the brother of a cop. He told me I'd be sorry. 2 weeks later, the cops were at my door. They said that the laundry on the laundry room floor (being sorted into piles by my 3 yr old... his chore) and the vitamins in the fridge, along w/ my 3 yr old son playing unattended (& I admit w/out pants) in the (fenced) backyard were probable cause to believe the children might be in danger. They took the kids. They were in foster care while we went to court. I had the choice of pleading guilty to the charges or the kids would be in foster care (w/ no unsupervised visitation to me) for the 6 months it would take to get to trial. The foster mother couldn't be bothered to monitor visits & didn't want me to go to her home (2 hours away.) I pled, I had to to ensure the safety of my children.
    Then, my out of control teenage daughter figured out that she could get me in trouble by reporting me, even tho I didn't do anything. So, they all went back in foster care. She was sorry, but they were still in care & I already had a black mark.
    It all went down hill from there. This was in the days of the Mondale Act, when the county was paid to have kids in foster care & it was a good money maker for them. So, they did so at any made up excuse.

    So... thank you for not judging!!!

    ReplyDelete