Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Just Farmin'

You know, I'll bet if I had a thousand acres of land I'd be sitting here wishing I had just another hundred acres so I could do more stuff. Maybe not, but if I had a dime for everytime I wished I had a few more acres .....I'd have a lot of dimes!
I need to be more grateful for what I do have. I'm living the dream here, I need to stop dreaming about more and more.
Okay, done with that little personal admonition. So, here's the plan. We're going to put up the other hoop house and put my chicken girlies in there. This accomplishes three things. Gives me more room to raise and breed chickens which has fast gone from a fun little hobby to a passion. It also gives Greg his shed back so he can store his....stuff. And it effectively limits how far my garden can continue to sprawl thus limiting the amount of work Greg has to do to dig it up every year. Ah, life is good. Now if I just had a few more acres I could get a cow and raise me some more fruit trees.....
Wow, that slap upside the head HURT! I'm thinking I'll keep my egg laying girlies and sell some eggs. They're laying like crazy and people like my eggs cause they're so PURTY. Then I'm thinking I'll start breeding some Ameracaunas and Rhode Island Reds. Those are the chickens I get the most requests for. So turkeys in one pen, egg layers in another and purebred chicks to sell and show in the last two pens. Sounds good!
With that in mind I got a beautiful, insanely handsome new roo yesterday. He's an Ameracauna and has most of the colors of the rainbow represented on his big, stout body. He's already taking to the position of head honcho what's in charge and he made sure all the girls were inside before he went in this evening. Of course then the girls rounded on him and started pecking on him but really, what man's life is complete without a little hen pecking? Seriously? I'm going to leave him in there with the girlies and hatch some of their fertile eggs just to see what kind of pretty colored mutt chickens I get and whether they lay colored eggs or not.
I love my life.

1 comment: