Sunday, January 4, 2009

Dreaming of Spring

Must be the three inches of glistening, new snow and the chilly 13 degree weather that has me in the mood for spring. I'm usually quite content with the winter season. It's a special time of quiet planning and reflection-like the Earth I gather my resources and get ready for then next period of growth and activity. But there's no rest for me this time. I'm restless and impatient for the new life of spring.
I've gathered my seeds and cataloged them to a spread sheet listing what kind of seed, where it came from and how long I've had it. Forty different breeds of tomatoes-mostly heirlooms, 11 kinds of peppers-from sweet bells to the hottest in the land, cucumbers for eating and cucumbers for pickles, 8 different melons, beans, peas, carrots, corn, my special Pinetree lettuce mix, herbs, onions, potatoes..... Have I forgotten anything? I gaze longingly at the seed catalogs stacked up beside my chair. Maybe some more strawberry plants....
Another two months until I can press those precious seeds into the starter mix and begin planting my tomatoes and peppers in their special room in the basement. Two months? Can I wait that long? Oh my goodness, I'm a fifty year old woman with eight kids! The one thing I should have mastered by now is the virtue of patience. And yet, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be worth the gamble to go ahead and start my seeds early. I could always heat the greenhouse, right?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you really are ready for spring! I got my Richters catalog last week, so I have been drooling over it:)

    ReplyDelete