Monday, December 29, 2008

More adventures in self-sufficiency

Who knew that vanilla extract was made with vodka? I mean, I guess I always knew that it had alcohol in it, it says so right on the bottle, but vodka? Really? Well, I'm something of a vanilla snob. I swear I can tell the difference between imitation vanilla and the real thing so I buy the expensive stuff and then agonize because I use it rather liberally.
So I embarked on an experiment today. I had a half bottle of Grey Goose (yes, the good stuff but damn it seems like I never use the stuff). Putting some aside for little projects because vodka is so useful in so many ways I took the rest out to the kitchen and carefully stuffed several vanilla bean pods inside the bottle. That's it. They say it's supposed to cure at least a month. We'll see......

No comments:

Post a Comment