Sunday, December 21, 2008

Green Lor

We used to live by a grocery store that had a floral department. The woman working in this floral department routinely managed to neglect the potted plants into a state of inevitable death-an herbicidal maniac perhaps? The plants she killed would be set out and offered for sale one last time at a greatly reduced price (usually about 50 cents) before making that trip to THE CRUSHER.
I cruised that aisle regularly looking for poor abused plants to rescue and came home with some very sad, spare specimens. Now, it should be said that I really don't know anything about plants but I seem to sense what they need and they usually thrive under my care. One little plant was surrounded by dead growth and there was one little nondescript sprout that looked like it was hanging on to life. I rushed it home and repotted it, clipped off the detritus, gave it some water and put it in a semi-sunny site knowing that any extreme sun or fertilizer would surely send it over the edge. It has grown into a fern that regularly threatens to take over the whole house. This plant loves me and even my husband who routinely makes fun of my obsession with plants knows that the fern will not be touched by human hands other than mine.
Another plant I picked up looked like it might have been a Christmas cactus. I don't usually take home cacti but my mother and grandmother both had these plants and a feeling of nostalgia made me look a little closer at this forlorn little scrap. Nothing was immediately recognizable as living but I felt like it might still be sustaining some remnant of life in the roots. Again, drastic measures seemed to harsh so a simple pot and some water and patience was all I could do for it. Now people are awestruck by the fact that I have a Christmas cactus that routinely blooms at Christmas.
I could tell you about the Palms, the Lucky Bamboo, the Shamrock, the Philodendron that will not die and others but you get the drift. My house is filled to capacity with plants that I love and sort of exemplify my passion to rescue and love those plants, animals and people who love it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment