Monday, December 15, 2008

My best friend

I read today that committed couples cannot be best friends. Who knew? Apparently the reasoning for this is that best friends are your sounding boards when you need to bitch about the evil partner at home so if your partner IS the best friend.....see the problem here? I can understand that as I guess I have had friends that I could take my troubles to but when I weigh the criteria for best friend I have to award the title to my man. A best friend should support you when you're down and drag you back to earth when you're flitting around dreamily. A best friend should be honest even when you kind of wish they weren't. Best friends love each other and trust each other. They may have different views on some subjects but they usually come to some agreement on how they're going to handle that; in our case I'm right and he is most assuredly wrong. Best friends laugh at themselves and each other and have little jokes that no one else understands. They get angry and fight but it's usually short lived when they remember how much they mean to each other.
So yeah, my best friend is my life partner and if that's detrimental to the whole relationship (I no longer recognize heterosexual marriage so we have a relationship and he's my partner, not my husband) then I guess the last 23 years have been a sham.

No comments:

Post a Comment